|How hard can keeping them occupied be?|
Anyway, I have started the list with the proviso that, since the Husband and I have not become millionaires since last summer, the kids will actually have to use some brain power and do that radical 1970's thing of entertaining themselves from time to time.
This means they may even experience that character building thing called boredom but it didn't kill us, did it?And I still maintain that having to make your own fun is the best way to stimulate creativity in any age group.
|Superheroes are now so last year|
I love the summer holidays, don't you?!
|Have kagool, will travel|
- Biking around Cosmeston Nature Reserve and exploring the medieval village
- Getting Caitlin to finally get the hang of her Heeleys
- Picnic at National Trust Dyffryn Gardens
- Go to the funfair at Barry Island (there's a ghost train!)
- Put the paddling pool up (and kiss the lawn goodbye for yet another year!)
- Eat ice creams on the pier at Penarth
- Explore the beautiful Westonbirt Arboretum
- Go sand-dune surfing at Merthyr Mawr
- Explore our local castles at Cardiff, Caerphilly and Raglan
- Walk up The Garth (and then progress to Pen-y-Fan)
- Hire tricycles and cycle along the Cardiff Bay Barrage
- Search for sea glass at St. Mary's Well Bay, Lavernock
- Sign up for our local library reading challenge (this was Ieuan's suggestion - amazing!)
- Bake bread with Taid (my dad loves impromptu cookery sessions with the kids)
- Visit our local museums at Cardiff and St. Fagins
- Stick a two man tent up in the garden and have a camping dummy run
- Go to Bath on the train and then take a boat trip on the river
- Bake a cake (with me this time). I'm OK with cakes...ish.
- Visit Rest Bay at Porthcawl and the fair at Coney Beach
- Play football on our local common
- Go on an expedition to find Dinas Powys Castle. (Yes we have one).
- Go pond dipping at Porthkerry Park (supervised by the wardens of course)
- Play crazy golf in Cardiff St. David's Centre
- Pick our own strawberries at Hendrewennol Fruit Farm and the Maize Maze
- Hold a movie night with popcorn and hotdogs
- Host a sleepover (never done this before so will have to check my nerves will hold)
- Explore Llandaff Cathedral and have tea and cake at the local teashop
- Visit Bristol Zoo - the location for most of my school trips
- Go bouncing at Go Air trampoline park
- Get the kids rock climbing at Boulders Indoor Climbing Centre
- Get the kids to earn some pocket money by setting up their own restaurant and charging the Husband and I to eat
- Helping with the housework (nothing wrong with learning a few lifeskills)!
- Washing the car
- Making jewellery - I've promised Caitlin will get some jewellery making tools and restring some of my old necklaces
- Watching Harry Potter, Lord of The Rings, The Hobbit and Star Wars. Probably on repeat.
- Have a games night - Junior Monopoly, Cluedo, all the old favourites
- Ieuan wants his bedroom repainted so he can help his dad with that
- Go skimming stones at The Knap Beach and have fish and chips on the way home
- Practising our videoing skills by recording another gripping episode of Caitlin and Ieuan's "The Hulk & Puppy".
- Playing hide and seek.
- Oh, alright, Pokemon Go IF THE DAMN THING LOADS!!!
- Visiting their Aunty Judy's new kitten, Willow.
- Making home-made birthday cards with Nanny
- Going to Clearwell Caves in the Forest of Dean
- Taking a boat on the river at Symonds Yat
- Reading some of the children's classics like Black Beauty and The Wind in the Willows
- Making home-made ice lollies
- Helping with the garden, collecting leaves and weeding
- Vacuuming. (What do you mean it's not fun?)
- Playing the piano with Taid - and me if I can remember how to sight read
So, there's quite a few things on my list already this year and I'm hoping we tick off quite a few of these. I'll buy the kids a scrapbook each so that they can record their adventures and they can make a memory box to keep any special souveniers they collect along the way.
Do you know, I'm actually quite looking forward to it.
What's on your family summer holiday bucket list?