I’ve been tagged by Leanne at A Slice of My Life Wales to list 50 things that make me happy and, since she might be a bit cross if I just put 49 Maltesers and a large glass of wine, here’s my list. I bet quite a few of your little pleasures are on there too…..
1. The Husband
2. The Kids
3. The rest of the strange tribe who comprise my family and friends
5. Red wine (anti-ageing, antioxidants, who needs an excuse?)
7. Tarot Cards (I used to ‘dabble’ when I was younger)
|A grainy photo of my last cat, Samson, now in cat heaven|
8. The Mind, Body & Spirit Section in Waterstones (if you can’t find me, this is where I’ll be, although I’m not one of those people who will actually sit down, open the book and start reading. I don’t want my books less than pristine thank you!)
9. The Underground (still find it exciting, all those tunnels, escalators and the potential danger of all that electricity)
10. Paris – many fond memories of school trips and of a short stint as an au pair when I was 19.
11. Pub grub – can’t beat a pie. Or a pie & chips.
12. Wuthering Heights – any of the Bronte Sisters’ novels in fact. All that sexual repression and bad weather. That’s the definition of being British right there.
13. Louis Vuitton – the Husband bought me an Alma bag for my 50th birthday and I am still so awed by it, I haven’t got round to using it yet. I am still in the ‘staring at it with adoration’ phase.
|Baby Ieuan in his Christmas Hat|
14. Red Lipstick – even though the wrong red makes me look like Vampyra and gives me a mouth like a cat’s bottom. When I find the right red, I’ll let you know.
15. Emeralds – don’t own any just love the green beauty of those stones.
16. Playing the piano after too much wine – this is the time when I actually remember those pieces I knew by heart as a child. Rousing rendition of “Onward Christian Soldiers” at 1 am anyone?
17. Jools Holland – genius musician and pianist.
18. Jamie Cullum – ditto
19. Pot Noodles – how can you ever tire of crunchy noodles and those sachets you can never open?
20. Rice Pudding. Ambrosia. Food of the Gods. Enough said.
21. Sleep – once you become a parent, sleep becomes the Holy Grail of pleasure seeking. Arguably, that also applies to sex.
22. Candy Crush & Pyramid Solitaire – yes, yes, it’s sad but the growth of the gaming market is being driven by middle aged women apparently so I am supporting the economy…
23. Woman & Home Magazine – full of women older than me achieving stuff. I read it and marvel.
24. Sherlock (with Benedict Cumberbatch)
25. James Bond (Daniel Craig)
27. Danish Pastries & Hot Cross Buns
28. My Skoda Roomster – a car that lets you bend down to put a child in a car seat without giving you concussion when you straighten up to shut the door.
29. Fitflops – never off my feet for approximately 5 years now
30. Marilyn Monroe Films
31. Mel Brooks’ Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein
32. Woody Allen’s “Love & Death”
|Caitlin’s Not Too Sure About Fresh Flowers|
34. Cushions – the Husband cannot understand why I love cushions and my prize ones are unceremoniously lobbed on to the floor. I am plotting a suitable revenge. Hiding all the toilet rolls for example.
35. Anything covered in faux fur. This may be because I miss having a cat.
37 Monty Python
38. The Daily Mail
39. Peanut Butter
41. Diaries – I have been known to start one, get bored and buy another one when I’m in my “let’s all change our lives and adopt another health regime” mood.
42. John Lewis
43. Ghost Trains
45. Lava Lamps
46. London Taxis
47. Fresh flowers
48. Beautiful gardens
49. Pinterest (you could lose days browsing on there)
Well, that’s cheered me up. Hope I’ve got you thinking of the things that make you happy now!