Is it time to drop the “Worst Dressed On The Red Carpet” Bitch-Fest?

Ho-hum  It’s the night after the BAFTAs and the Daily Mail’s lead article is entitled “What Were They Thinking?  ….The Worst Dressed Stars on the Red Carpet at the TV BAFTA Awards”.

dailymail.co.uk

Some of this year’s unfortunate targets include Catherine Tate (“who wore an autumnal coloured dress with too much ruching that swamped her small frame and clashed with her nude courts), Made in Chelsea’s Rosie Fortescue (who “opted for an unflattering metallic dress with sheer panels by Julien Macdonald), and Hollyoaks actress Jennifer Metcalfe (who wore a dress described as “a bizarre one-shouldered black dress… which fell flat”).

dailymail.co.uk

Michelle Keegan was described as wearing “a loose dress by House of Fraser in an unusual pastel shade of pastel green that was very wrinkled, causing many to question the former Coronation Street star’s red carpet choice”. Bizarrely, a link to purchase that very same dress can be found directly below this helpful criticism.

Now, we can all have a few minutes of fun and shore up our frail egos by gloating at the usually perfect looking less so.

Michelle Keegan would probably look good in a bin liner.  It doesn’t matter how terrible the outfit choices are, these are still beautiful women out to enjoy themselves.

Imagine if, when you go out on a Saturday night, your choice of outfit was pilloried in the press the next day? You’d feel crushed, wouldn’t you?

Yes you can argue that as a celebrity you put yourself out there and have to take the knocks. Well fine, but the knocks should be related to what you actually do, shouldn’t they?

The BAFTAs celebrate and reward the best formances on TV during the past year. And where do we find the actual list of winners?  They appear in a rather bald listing right at the bottom of the article after reams of red carpet dress photos.

I loved the #WeAreThey Twitter response in support of Plus Size women, (even though I would always champion being a healthy weight as being best for us).

Here were loads of women taking a stand and saying “This is us.  This is what we look like.  We’re happy with it.  Move on”.

Far removed, I think, from the misogynistic drubbing female celebs have to put up with every time they put on a less than perfect frock.

Is anyone talking about the sartorial choices of  Jon Snow (Fellowship BAFTA), Jason Watkins (Leading Actor BAFTA) and Ant and Dec (Entertainment Performance BAFTA)?

Reading articles like this may make me feel better about myself for about a minute but this is a temporary buzz, like eating too many chocolates.  Don’t you find you feel a bit uncomfortable afterwards?

The problem is we women are so used to being judged on our appearance rather than our skills and we are often each others’ harshest critics.

Until we realise that we need to support each other and that criticising one of us is in many ways like criticising all of us, it’s going to be damn hard to stop clicking on those insidiously unpleasant article links.

Ex marketing professional turned family lifestyle blogger. I live in Cardiff with hubby Mat, Caitlin (10) and Ieuan (8).

1. 11 May, 2015 / 9:40 am

A hugely interesting argument and I err on the side of agreeing with you…..in principle. Unfortunately my natural tendency is to (most unfairly I admit) judge the dresses. I think the reason being that the celebs have their pick of gorgeous sartorial choices and they end up wearing something better off at a fancy dress party.

I enjoyed the post though!
    Lucy

• 13 May, 2015 / 9:08 am

I sometimes think girls are trained to criticise one another from an early age. I'm really watching myself carefully with my daughter. She's only 7 but she's already asking about Kim Kardashian!

• 13 May, 2015 / 9:10 am

That was a bit strange though – perhaps the dress arrived at the last minute or something. I think her stylists should have had a spare dress just in case.

2. 11 May, 2015 / 1:32 pm

This really gets my goat too. I just don't think its relevant at ALL what they wore unless you are trying to flog the dress or simillar to us by saying how wonderful they looked. Putting people down in articles like this only fuel one thing – a dangerous attitude to criticizing others.

• 13 May, 2015 / 9:11 am

I think it sends a really bad message to young girls – especially those working hard at their GCSEs. A complete contradiction to tell them they can be a career success but if they don't dress to please the masses then they'll be laughed at.

3. 11 May, 2015 / 4:51 pm

I really don't like it, people are there to be judged on their talent and celebrate great British TV and not to be picked apart.

• 13 May, 2015 / 9:12 am

It's the same after every single awards show – I think the soap awards are next so it will be the same then. At the very least it's lazy journalism, isn't it x

4. 11 May, 2015 / 5:27 pm

I think people should wear what they are comfortable with, screw the critics. Who decides what an awful outfit is, what one person thinks is nice another will not x

• 13 May, 2015 / 9:13 am

I try to explain this to the husband about my love of leggings but he's not having it 😉

5. 11 May, 2015 / 5:41 pm

It always baffles me womens need to drag other women down, we should be celebrating one another on being bloody amazing not criticizing what clothes we decide to wear
    AliceMegan

• 13 May, 2015 / 9:14 am

There's not a lot of "sisterhood" in the "sisterhood" sometimes, is there. We are our own worst enemies sometimes.

6. 11 May, 2015 / 7:53 pm

When you're in the limelight, you are under so much pressure to stand out and be different. There is always going to be a high risk some aren't going to like what they wear/do. They are brave women and shouldn't be subjected to such criticism. I couldn't do it! x

• 13 May, 2015 / 9:15 am

I don't think I could either Michelle. I used to be nervous enough about giving presentations in work! You can bet if they all wore little black dresses they would be slated for being dull and unimaginative!

7. 11 May, 2015 / 7:58 pm

This makes me so sad too – it's so horrible to see other women being knocked, especially when they are probably feeling so wonderful and glamorous. Maybe they genuinely love the dresses – fashion and taste is subjective, who are we to publicly shame them? I once had to write a similar article when I worked on a women's magazine and I hated having to do it, but I was too frightened of my editor to say no! I didn't sleep that night because I felt so bad about it. x

• 13 May, 2015 / 9:17 am

I bet your editor wouldn't have asked a male journalist to write that article. I've never seen Benedict Cumberbatch being criticised for his choice of tie either! Although to be fair, I never really notice his ties! x

• 13 May, 2015 / 9:19 am

Yes, I remember reading that at the time and being impressed by her response. You're right, it is lazy journalism.

8. 11 May, 2015 / 8:32 pm

Well said. I am always ashamed when I realised how quickly criticism comes to my lips without thinking. Great food for thought and a tough challenge x #mummymonday

• 13 May, 2015 / 9:21 am

I agree it is very easy to criticise without thinking about the impact of our words, isn't it. I just find myself reading this stuff these days,feeling quite irritated myself for doing so and wishing journalists could raise their game a bit.

9. 11 May, 2015 / 9:42 pm

I was just thinking of Sarah Millican too – it's hard because I think there is an instant judgment when you see the photos. But at least that's only inside our own head! Besides, how can something clash with nude courts – that's the point!

• 13 May, 2015 / 9:23 am

We judge to make ourselves feel better though, don't you find? Which is entirely normal but it's probably better to improve our own self esteem I guess. Unfortunately I can wear nude courts and still manage to compose an outfit that clashes x