I’ve written before about the challenges of travelling with queasy kids and how to avoid travel sickness. I was interested to hear how many mums and dads recommended taking a drug-free approach to the problem by using Sea-Band acupressure wrist bands for their children. I’ve heard good things about their effectiveness against morning sickness too.
There’s nothing more miserable than being stuck in a car for hours feeling nauseous, apart from being stuck in a car with someone else who is feeling nauseous!
The last get-away weekend of the year is coming up and the Sea-Band company has come up with a great list of tips to help you and your kids feel less green.
How to avoid travel sickness
- Plan ahead – avoid excessive alcohol and spicy or fat-rich foods that leave you feeling over-full, as they can increase the chances of motion sickness in some people.
- Avoiding strong food odours may also help prevent nausea, and position yourself near a source of fresh air if possible.
- Try to choose a seat where you will experience the least motion. The middle of an aeroplane over the wing is the calmest area of an aeroplane.
- On a ship, those in lower level cabins near the centre of a ship generally experience less motion than passengers in higher or outer cabins.
- Try and sit in the front seat of a car and where possible avoid sitting away from your direction of travel whenever possible.
- Do not read or spend too much time on your phone or electronic devices while travelling if you are at all prone to motion sickness.
- Isolate yourself from others who may be suffering from motion sickness, listening to others talk about motion sickness or seeing others becoming ill is the last thing you need to see or hear!
- Be prepared and take a pair of Sea-Bands with you – acupressure wrist bands clinically proven to relieve motion sickness and morning sickness, in addition to helping with post-operative and chemotherapy-induced nausea.
Sea-Bands come in both adult and child versions and they work by applying pressure on the Nei-Kuan acupressure point on each wrist by means of a plastic stud. Because the bands do not use drugs, they do not cause any of the side effects associated with anti-nausea drugs.·
Sea-Bands are a great choice for drug-free relief of all types of nausea and they have no side effects. You can also wash and reuse them. More information is available on the Sea-Band website: www.sea-band.com.
You can buy Sea-Bands from Amazon.