There’s nothing like a family days out for making long-lasting memories and enjoying some special time together. These days, it’s often a challenge for busy working parents to find the time to dedicate to family fun and fresh air. Mat has been working abroad quite a bit since January, so extra time with dad is really important to Caitlin and Ieuan. This half term, we did something a little different and went on an Oreo Cookie Quest at one of our favourite places, Dyffryn Gardens.
A great new competition from Oreo
Our adventure celebrates the launch of The Great Oreo Cookie Quest, an on-pack competition and interactive cookie quest activity with loads of wonderfilled prizes including a family trip to San Francisco. To enter, simply buy one of the promotional packs in store and follow the instructions.
How To Win £100 Virgin Experience Voucher
Not only that but I also have one £100 Virgin Experience Voucher up for grabs for one lucky family.
Below you’ll find 10 photographs of our time at Dyffryn Gardens in which an Oreo has been hidden. Not all of the pictures contain an Oreo treasure though, just to throw you off the scent!
All the photographs are numbered so to enter the competition, you’ll need to make a note of the numbers of the photographs you found the Oreo in. Remember, there should be 10 in all.
Then simply enter your answer using the GLEAM widget at the bottom of this post, where you’ll also find all the terms and conditions you need to know.
It’s time for your own Oreo Cookie Quest!
At the heart of Dyffryn Gardens stands Dyffryn House. It was home to the Cory Family, industrialists who made their wealth through coal. The present house was built in 1892-3 and is an unusual mix of many different styles of decor.
You’ll find a lovely little children’s play area outside the main entrance which is free to use. Entry to the House and Gardens is free for National Trust members, otherwise there is an entrance fee in line with other National Trust properties.
It was quite a busy Friday but no matter when we go it is never too crowded. There is plenty of space for everyone to explore. The gardens at Dyffryn cover more than 55 acres and you’ll find intimate garden rooms, formal lawns and an extensive arboretum. You could easily spend a day here.
Caitlin and Ieuan have been coming to Dyffryn ever since they were little. Ieuan was usually dressed as Spiderman though – a fact he hates to be reminded of these days!
Because the day was so cold and grey, we found that most of our favourite statues had all be carefully covered with tarpaulins to protect them from frost damage.
There are so many interesting nooks and crannies to explore. Dyffryn Gardens is a fabulous place for picnics and games of hide ‘n’ seek.
Our explorations took us to the glasshouse where you’ll find tropical rain forest, dry desert and grape-filled vinery. There are lots of unusual and interesting species of cacti, orchid and vine, making it a real treasure trove for the garden enthusiast.
Leaving the warmth of the glasshouse behind we continued on to find the new wooded children’s playground.
Dyffryn is a really different experience in summer when the fruit trees are budding and the roses start to bloom. But I like the grey bleakness which I find makes me very philosophical.
The new play area features logs and cute animals carved into the wood. There are wooden picnic benches and an obstacle course of logs and wooden stepping stones for kids to play on. The logs are quite high so this play area is suitable for older children. Otherwise, full supervision is needed. Fun though!
As you can see, the logs are quite high.
The carvings are amazing. A lot of time and care obviously went into the making of the wooden benches.
As the sky became more overcast we decided to head from home but we did notice that the bluebells, snowdrops and some daffodils are out. Spring is trying to make an appearance!
Luckily we are a short 15 minute drive away in Dinas Powys. This means we get full value from our National Trust membership without even to visit other properties, although we certainly take full advantage of the opportunity where we can. There are so many amazing places to explore in the UK.
There are regular events and activities hosted at Dyffryn Gardens from botanical art courses, to snowdrop planting and medieval music concerts. Something for every age and interest.
We are looking forward to the return of the sun when the Gardens are open a little later in the evenings, perfect for lazy after-school picnics and watching the sun go down.
Still, at least we had plenty of Oreos to help us on our quest this time.
Enter the competition here
To recap, all you need to do is work out which 10 of the numbered photographs above contain an Oreo and list the 1o numbers down via the GLEAM widget. Once you’ve done that, you’ll be able to add extra entries but note that to win, you must get all 10 numbers correct.
The competition ends at 11:59 pm on Sunday 11th March 2018 and note that there are extra terms and conditions which are listed below. You’ll find my general T&Cs on my giveaways page.
REMEMBER: YOU MUST LIST THE 10 PHOTOS CONTAINING THE OREOS FOR YOUR ENTRIES TO COUNT.
#OreoCookieQuest Giveaway Terms & Conditions
- This #OreoCookieQuest Prize Draw is free to enter and no purchase is necessary. It is open to residents of the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland including the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man), excluding employees and their families of the Promoter, its associated, affiliated or subsidiary companies and agents or anyone professionally connected with the promotion. Participants must be 18 years or over.
- Participants enter through Gleam, stating the places where Oreos are “hidden” in the blog post to be in with the chance of winning.
- One winner will be chosen from the entries randomly. The winner will receive a £100 Virgin Experience Voucher. Restrictions apply (see note below).
- All entries stating all the correct places Oreos are featured in the blog post will automatically be entered into the drawing. It is a condition of entry that all postings are subject to the terms and conditions. Submission of a posting will be taken to mean acceptance of the rules and terms and conditions.
- All entries must be received by 11 March 2018 at 23.59 GMT.
- The winner will be chosen at random from users who enter this giveaway.
- The winner will be notified via the email address. They have 48 hours to respond and claim their prize after being notified, after which time the prize will be considered unclaimed and will be re-assigned using a random selection method. The winner will be published on the original giveaway blog post.
- Prizes are administered separately from Mother Distracted. Mother Distracted, its partners and agents cannot be held responsible for problems related to fulfillment of prizes including non-delivery or substitution due to original prize being unavailable.
- The Promoter may vary or amend the promotion at its absolute discretion.
- The Promoters accept no responsibility for technical difficulties which may result in entries not being received and therefore not eligible.
- The Promoter is Mother Distracted.
- Social Media with the hashtag(s) may be used in promotional materials for BritMums, Oreo and participating blogger sites, published on the BritMums, Oreo and participating blogger networks, used on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Pinterest and other social media platforms and/or published in the BritMums, Oreo and participating blogger sites. Participation will be taken as agreement for use of material in this way.
- Events may occur that render the giveaway itself or the awarding of a prize impossible due to reasons beyond the control of the Promoter and accordingly the Promoter may at its absolute discretion vary or amend the promotion and the entrant agrees that no liability shall attach to the Promoter as a result thereof.
- Restrictions: travel costs are not included.
For more chances to enter
For more chances to enter, why not check out my fellow bloggers #OreoCookieQuest posts. There’s Podcast Dove, Lilinha Angel, ET Speaks from Home, Really Missing Sleep, JacintaZ3, 92Three30, Claire Justine OXO, Mini Travellers and Veggie Desserts,
I’m working with Oreo and BritMums promoting the #OreoCookieQuest celebrating wonderfilled family moments and The Great Oreo Cookie Quest.