Bartholin’s Cysts – The Rarely Discussed Nightmare

Posts may contain affiliate links

Now, ladies, this may well put you off your cornflakes but I think it needs talking about. If you have ever experienced the misery of a Bartholin’s Cyst which then becomes a Bartholin’s abscess, you will know exactly what I am talking about.

bartholin's cysts can be extremely painful - young woman looking vexed.
Yes – this is one of those delightful gynaecological problems that can appear out of the blue and cause recurrent misery for years.

The Bartholins Glands are two pea sized glands located slightly posterior and to the left and right of the opening of the vagina. Their function is to secrete mucus to lubricate the vagina. This lubrication may help make sex a little more comfortable for women.

Sometimes, however, these glands can become blocked which results in the formation of a Bartholin’s Cyst.  These cysts can grow in size so that it is actually painful to sit or walk.

Believe it or not, many women don’t even know that these glands exist.  And many cysts are not diagnosed until an examination such as a smear is carried out by a medical professional.  You can have a Bartholin’s cyst for years without it causing you too many problems.

If, however, infection occurs, the result is an incredibly painful Bartholin’s absess which may require drainage or surgery to get rid of it.

Nobody seems to be entirely sure what causes these cysts – the usual suspects are all there, stress, poor hygiene, bad diet, STIs and, rarely vulval cancer.  For this reason, if you think you may have one you MUST go to your GP to get it checked out.

The peak age for getting these delightful swines is between 20-30 and in theory, once you reach menopause the Bartholin’s Glands are supposed to shrink so that you no longer suffer this problem. Great in theory but since I’m 51, rubbish in practice.

I had an abscess about 10 years ago and have a small Bartholin’s cyst at present so believe me I am speaking from experience here.

Treating a Bartholin’s Cyst

Usually, the first course of action to treat a possibly infected cyst is a course of antibiotics. In my experience this is a rather hit and miss method of treatment and, if the antibiotics cure the problem, there is no guarantee that it will not reappear.

Sitz Baths

At this stage, the home treatment advice tends to be to take over-the-counter painkillers and to take a sitz bath 3-4 times a day.

A sitz bath is a warm, shallow bath that cleanses the vulval area and can be used for everyday personal hygiene. It can also provide relief from pain or itching in the genital area.

You can give yourself a sitz bath in your bathtub or with a plastic kit that fits over your toilet.

Surgical Options

If an abscess does develop, the methods of treatment are usually drainage by the insertion of a Word catheter or, as I had done, marsupialization.

Marsupialization is the surgical technique of cutting a slit into an abscess or cyst and suturing the edges of the slit to form a continuous surface from the exterior surface to the interior surface of the cyst or abscess – in other words, creating a pouch which allows drainage.

My marsupialization was done as a day surgery appointment and the recovery time was quoted as being 2 weeks.  At least 6 weeks was closer to the mark and, what I was not told at the time, some sensitivity remains due to the scar tissue left behind.

Fear of surgery, particularly ‘down below’ leads many women to seek home cures and there are many sites which discuss the methods which have worked for them.

‘Home Cures’

These are some suggestions but please note that their success is anecdotal and reported on various forum boards.

The Homoeopathic Remedy Silicea 30C

Dose – 5 pellets under the tongue 2 or 3 times a day.

A homeopathic cure for a Bartholin's Cyst - Silicea 30C

Information on the Wisegeek.org website tells us that:-

“Silicea is derived from flint or quartz and is an abundant mineral naturally found in the Earth’s crust. Part of the structural makeup of bone and cartilage, the remedy is present in humans as a trace element. It can be found in connective tissues as well as hair, skin, and nails.

People who use this mineral believe that its cleansing effects make it particularly useful in treating dry skin, nails, or hair. This mineral is sometimes used to improve acne, blemishes, ulcers, boils, inflammation, or generally sickly skin. Infections from abscesses, skin eruptions, glass shards, and splinters may also be treated with it. Some people also use it in hopes of preventing hair loss and dandruff, and to reduce scar tissue visibility.”

I am currently trying this cure at the moment which I found here.

Silica Complex

Now there is a great deal of confusion on the boards about whether the best cure is Silicea 30c (the homoeopathic remedy) or Silica Complex.  An example of what I mean is HERE and, confusingly, HERE.

Silica Complex is a dietary supplement which usually takes its Silica from Horsetail Extract and is combined with other vitamins and minerals.

These are the kind of tablets referred to.

Silica Complex Tablets - another possible remedy for a Bartholin's Cyst?

These are usually taken to help improve the quality of skin, hair and nails.  This particular tablet contains calcium, magnesium and zinc as well as the Horsetail extract.

Sitz Baths With Epsom Salts

As described above but with the addition of Epsom salts, also recommended for post-partum pain and haemorrhoids.  You can find a recipe HERE

You can also buy a sitz bath which is simply placed over the bowl of the toilet and filled so that you don’t have to undress to have a full bath each time.

Phoebe’s Cure

Hands up, I don’t know who Phoebe is but her ‘cure’ is much talked about on the health boards.  It is simply this:-

6oz calamine lotion
1 teaspoon Tea Tree oil
1 teaspoon Witch Hazel

Soak a gauze pad in the solution and press against the cyst for about 30 minutes.

Serrapeptase

Dose: 2 a day on an empty tummy. I found mine here.

Serrapeptase is derived from the Silk Worm and is claimed to help eliminate inflammatory oedema and swelling by breaking down abnormal fluids and protein and by promoting the absorption of these decomposed products through blood and lymphatic vessels. It could also break down and liquefy mucus secretions and fibrin clots and help antibiotics to focus on infection.

There seems, however, to be insufficient clinical evidence to prove its efficacy.

Finally, you might be interested in a book you can download for Kindle entitled Bartholin Cyst Miracle Method.

The book promises to help us learn how many women have cured their Bartholin’s cysts and exactly what they did to treat them in the privacy of their own homes with no doctors or painful surgery. It promises to “reveal the exact method now used by countless women to get rid of their Bartholin’s cysts for good”.

Obviously, I am not a doctor and the first course of action, if you suspect that you have a Bartholin’s cyst, is to see your GP.

It would be remiss of me to suggest that you go off gung-ho and try these without prior discussion with your healthcare provider.

But let’s live in the real world, shall we?

If the provision of gynaecological services were better in the UK and if doctors were a little more sympathetic to problems like this, then the health boards of various forums would be a lot less busy.

The number one response of GPs to any gynae problem seems to be a combination of antibiotics and Canesten.

Women know their own bodies better than any GP but this knowledge does not help them to make themselves heard when it matters most. – tweet it.

I will continue with my antibiotics and Silicea 30c.  I will try sitz baths and add a silica complex supplement to my diet.

Since I had my marsupialization I have had no further problem on that side (right), other than frequent irritation from the scar tissue.  I hope that I don’t have to go through the whole process again on the left!

Bartholin’s cysts and abscesses are incredibly frustrating because there is a reluctance to treat them until the level of discomfort and/or infection is intolerable to the sufferer.

Is it any wonder that many of us, at least those of us who are brave enough to talk about it, are desperately seeking our own cure and would prefer to trust the anecdotal evidence of other women than our overstretched NHS.

Please see your GP before trying any of the supplements listed above.

Update 2018

Since this post was first published in 2016 I have had no further reoccurrences of Bartholin’s Cysts.  If I have a ‘twinge’, I rely on the homoeopathic remedy Silicea 30c and Serrapeptase tablets and if that hasn’t settled matters, go back to my GP for a course of antibiotics.  The marsupialization of my abscess did, for all intents and purposes, work.

*contains some affiliate links

Web Analytics

Posts may contain affiliate links

Ex marketing professional turned family lifestyle blogger. I live in Cardiff with hubby Mat, Caitlin (10) and Ieuan (8).

1. Faria
    15 August, 2017 / 6:39 pm

I must sayxhats off to u for bringing out this topic if the bartholins cyst. I had one on the left side sice I was 12. And suffered in silence. Then wen I was about 24 it had just decided to pop up again. I consulted a very good Gynecologist who did marsupialization. And thank God I am now 65 yrs old and never ever had a problem again.

15 August, 2017 / 8:58 pm

I had mine marsupialized too but I still worry about the darn things coming back. Until you have experienced them you don’t realise how painful they can be, do you? So sorry you had one at 12!

2. Maria
    29 October, 2017 / 2:25 pm

I appreciate this article, I have been suffering for about 2yrs and they come unexpectedly almost every other month. Unfortunately this time on my birthday. I WILL DEFINITELY BE USING one or all of these remedies because surgery is not an option. I tried the drainage apparatus and it was horrible! Again thank you for the information.

3. OhNo
    22 April, 2018 / 3:52 pm

I can’t believe I am 47 and got on of these horrors. Tried Phoebe’s cure at 7 last night and swapped it out a few times and it burst at 4 am! I also get infected ingrown hairs too so I am ready for the next battle. stay well…

22 April, 2018 / 4:07 pm

Wow – that was a great result. I read a medical site the other day that said women aged 20-30 are the age group most likely to get Bartholin’s. Complete nonsense in my experience! Make sure you aren’t still running an infection x

• Lulu
      28 July, 2018 / 11:09 pm

So it worked?!

4. Daria
    23 May, 2018 / 3:10 am

My first bartholin abscess was in December 2017, second was in March and now in May its happening again as I am writing. Its making me feel depressed and i feel like crying because i know how horrible the pain is. I tried everything, changed diet, started taking vitamins, stopped wearing thongs and any other tight clothing, bought feminine soap, sleep with no underwear but the darn thing still comes back and i have no idea of what to do. Marzipulation sounds like the best option but i dont want to have the scar tissue left behind. I let it pop and drain on its own with multiple sitz baths and antibiotic cream seemed to help it. But what is the cause of this? I did smear test and its clean, i have no infection in my mucus and everything is clean and healthy inside too. I really wish someone could explain this to me. I am 26 years old and i really dont like the idea of it recurring every 2,5 months.

23 May, 2018 / 7:54 am

Hi Daria – you don’t say whether you have seen a gynaecologist about this but it sounds as if home management isn’t sufficient in your case. I will be honest and say that my scar tissue (which is very small by the way) does occasionally give me the odd niggle but the cyst has never come back over 13 years. Could you talk to your doc or gynae about the procedure and what is involved to put your mind at rest?

• Daria
        23 May, 2018 / 9:10 am

Hi Linda,
        I actually have seen 3 gynaes, 1 told me not to do any procedure and the other 2 suggested drainage under anesthesia. I have told them about doing marzipulation but they say its a big operation that will require me to stay in hospital for 2-3 days. I live in North Cyprus its an unrecognized country so i cant really trust them here however i can go to europe if i want to proceed. One more question. When i first had bartholin abscess, it hurt to the point of me crying all day long and took about 4-5 days to pop, second time it hurt a lot but i had more panic in me from the previous one, however it popped in 2 days. And third which is now is the second day, it hurts but bearable. Does it get easier with each or is it just by luck?

23 May, 2018 / 9:54 am

Daria, I’ve only had the one so I can’t really answer that I’m afraid. I suspect it is a question of luck or perhaps you are just getting used to the discomfort. I am really sorry you are having to go through this.

• Daria
            23 May, 2018 / 10:32 am

You are so lucky, i really wish there was some kind of an explanation to this. Can you tell me your marzipulation experience? How was it, what did they do and how did you feel during and after it? I am so afraid of doctors, never had any serious injuries or operations before ever, so i am dreading about it. Was it painful to get it done? How long did it take? And did doctors say it might come on the other side ?

23 May, 2018 / 12:02 pm

Daria, it was a simple procedure for which I was a day surgery patient. The cyst was removed under general anaesthesia and I went home the same day. All they do is drain the cyst and then create a pocket or a flap with the skin surrounding it. This is then stitched up (You’ll need to check with your doc in case the procedure has changed). I had minor discomfort afterwards and some sensitivity of the scar tissue for a year or so – nothing major just occasional discomfort. Mine was a very large cyst though. Forgive me but have you talked to anyone about your fear of doctors? It would be a shame if you continued to suffer when a relatively simple procedure could sort out this issue for you.

• Daria
            23 May, 2018 / 12:46 pm

Thank you so much for this. I will rethink it. I didnt talk to anyone about my fear but i think i can do it, i mean if its going to make me feel better then why not right?
            Thanks so much for talking to me, i was really feeling alone in this. Have a good day

24 May, 2018 / 8:23 am

Daria, you can always message me if you need to talk. I’m @lindahobbis on Twitter or @motherdistracted on FB. x

• Carol
            12 August, 2018 / 8:27 pm

It breaks my heart to hear of so many women suffering over and over again with these cysts. I was scared just like you Daria and joined an online support group. That made me even more scared.. so many women suffering, failed attempts at home remedies, failed attempts at the doctor, multiple recurrence, and so much pain. My doctor told me that marsupialization was the only treatment with the highest chance of non-recurrence. She would not even recommend lancing or word catheter because she has seen it fail over and over. In her experience, noone had ever come back complaining that the marsupialization failed or that there was recurrence. I certainly didn’t want to live in constant fear of pain and recurrence like I was witnessing so many women do. I prayed a lot and trusted the advice of my doctor. I was put under general anesthesia and the surgery itself only took like 5 minutes. I was very groggy from the medications, but was able to return home the same day. I was able to resume all activities except exercise, intercourse, and bathing (shower was ok). I had hardly any pain at all. I did not have to take any pain medication at all during recovery. I did have an antibiotic because she said there was some infection. After 2 weeks, I was healing well. There was a stitch or 2 that was not fully dissolved, so I was advised to wait another 2 weeks before resuming activities. Upon my return, stitches were all gone and I was cleared to resume activities, but the doctor suggested to refrain from intercourse for another 2 weeks because the wound is still a little raw and would get irritated by friction. She wanted to allow more time for healing. Six weeks was nothing to sacrifice compared to the years of torment living in fear and pain. I am so happy to feel normal again. If you can have the surgery done in Europe, find someone who has a good success rate and comes highly recommended. I know there are women who have had the surgery whose results were less than optimal, so you must be confident in the doctor you choose. Good luck to you!! Wishing for the very best!!

• Lizzt
        29 November, 2018 / 4:16 am

Hi Linda. Thank you so much for this article. I had my first cyst and abscess about 6 weeks ago and had to fly home early from holiday to have it drained and a word catheter was inserted. Since the incision and drainage I have been expericing horrible pain at the incision site. Stabbing pains, stinging, etc. Some days are better than others. I have been to my OBGYN multiple times for the pain and she just keeps telling me everything looks good. I have found very little about the recovery process:pain after, etc . I know we had different procedures but you mentioned pain from scaring and I’m wondering if that is what I’m dealing with. What type of pain did you have and how long did it last? This has been so depressing and I feel hopeless. I just got married in June and needless to say it’s impacted my love life. Thanks again for writing this article and trying to help other women!!

29 November, 2018 / 9:26 am

Hi Lizzy – 6 weeks is nothing in terms of recovery time so I’m not surprised that it still hurts. In my experience doctors are often over-optimistic when they tell you how long it takes to recover. I was told 2 weeks which is complete nonsense. If you think about it, any kind of surgery will take longer than that! Nerves repair themselves at the rate of 1 inch per month and that depends on the age and health of the patient. My pain was a tingling like a nerve complaining but not a stabbing pain – I did not have a catheter as you know. Is your Obgyn certain there is no infection at the site of the incision? If not, it may just be a case of keeping the area clean and giving it time. I understand your frustration re: your love life though. You could try a lubricant from Yes.org – organic and lots of women (including me) swear by them. Research the ‘double glide’ technique which may make you comfortable enough to stand sex occasionally while you heal. Otherwise, the best pain management is probably a warm sitz bath a couple of times a day and painkillers. A great book about vaginal pain (even though it’s about vaginal atrophy) is Me and My Menopausal Vagina by Jane Lewis. The cause of her problem is different to ours but the protocol she has come up with to cope with vaginal discomfort may help. Lastly if you are not happy with what your Obgyn is telling you – please seek a second opinion (especially if you’re dealing with a man)!

5. AmyJ
    7 July, 2018 / 9:50 pm

Thank you so much for this post. Helps to not feel so alone when I get these horrible Bartholins cysts. I got my first one at 45 and 9 months later my second. What worked for me both times and too less than 24 hours was getting preparation H wipes that have 50% witch hazel and inserting them right on the cysts and changing them every few hours. Sitting on a heating pad off and on. And then that liberating feeling when the cyst bursts and the fever subsides.

• LeeB
      15 August, 2018 / 8:49 pm

The wipes are safe to insert for extended time periods?

6. Lauren
    9 July, 2018 / 5:22 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this. I am 22 and have been dealing with this for 4 years now. They come and go about every 3 months. Usually they are big and painful to the point where I have to take off work. Eventually they pop and drain on their own but a little bump is always left there. I am debating marsupialization but I am scared… they said my cyst is deep down and scaring may occur. Advice?

9 July, 2018 / 5:34 pm

I think you need them to be specific about how much scarring. Scar tissue does heal at a slow rate and to this day I have very occasional sensitivity there but you learn to live with it and it is far better than the pain of the Bartholin’s. Could you have a word with your gynae and ask them outright for a clearer picture of what they are seeing?

• Lauren
        10 July, 2018 / 10:50 pm

Thank you Linda. I will have to ask those questions. Can you tell me about your experience… You said your recovery was about 6 weeks. How was that process? I understand if this is too personal of a question but do you experience any discomfort during periods or sexual activity now?

11 July, 2018 / 8:11 am

Healing took around 6 weeks but I still had mild sensitivity for a few years afterwards. I didn’t have any discomfort during periods and not particularly during sexual activity either. I don’t remember too much about the healing process, only that I was relieved to get rid of my abscess which was the size of a golf ball! A brilliant product to use for vaginal discomfort is the water-based lubricant made by the Yes company. I’d say something like that would definitely help you weather any discomfort.

7. Lulu
    28 July, 2018 / 11:08 pm

I have my 3rd. Both had to be marsupialized. And I don’t know what to do to keep it from happening. I will be adding these supplements just in case. I’m 31. These started last year.

8. Marj
    16 September, 2018 / 8:49 pm

Hi, so I want to try this but just wanted to know if I can take serrapeptase and silicea together? Or
    Do I have to wait a couple hours between them?

16 September, 2018 / 9:27 pm

Hi Marj – I’m not a doctor so I can’t give you professional advice. My serrapeptase says to take it on an early stomach first thing in the morning so I’d do that and then take the silicea later. I’d still make sure to go to the doctors though in case you need antibiotics.

9. Justine
    21 September, 2018 / 4:22 am

I think I’m on about my 7th or 8th abscess. I was lucky enough to get a break from them for about 2 years and thought I was out of the woods. Now it’s back with a vengeance I’m sure. I wish there was more information about what causes these painful things! The first one I had, I went to urgent Care and they incise and drained and put a catheter in it for a week. I got another one about a month later that popped on its own the day before my appt with the gynecologist. Still went to the appt and discusses surgery but Dr didn’t recommend it. I’ve had several since and just let them pop on their own. Hope we get some answers soon ladies!

10. Alexis
    2 October, 2018 / 1:06 am

I’m 24 and have had a reoccurring cyst since for 5 years now. The cyst become an abscess 4 times. I had it lanced with a word catheter, but it returned. On the 3rd cyst my doctor recommended marsupialisation, which I agreed to. I could not exercise or have intercourse for 5 weeks, which I followed. I changed my diet to eating really healthy and drinking plenty of water. I had my surgery in August 2018 & felt great, but couldn’t walk for long periods of time until after 5 weeks. It’s now October 2018 and I saw the cyst returned & has now became an abscess. Very upsetting & the home remedies don’t seem to help me. Hopefully you will have more luck with the marsupialisation.

2 October, 2018 / 10:11 am

I am so sorry to hear this. Unless you’ve had one of these things you have no idea how much they wear you down and sap your confidence. I might be wrong but I thought that reoccurrence on the marsupialised site was unusual. Is yours in exactly the same place on your surgery site? I would say (again I’m NOT a doctor) that 5 weeks recovery time seems very short if that’s what you were told. I was told at least 6 and in reality it took months. I’m not sure I could have stood intercourse after just 6 weeks. I hope you have gone back to your doctor and told them that you are really unhappy and that the surgery hasn’t worked.

11. Marcie
    4 October, 2018 / 7:51 pm

I’m 23 and think I’m currently dealing with my first one, or at least my first bad one. About a year ago I noticed one side of vulva was slightly hard and swollen, but within a few days it went away painlessly. Now, not only is one side (the same side) hard and a bit swollen, but it hurts when I sit certain ways and when I walk. I have a very uneasy stomach so reading up on them has made the whole thing way more uncomfortable then it already is and I’m just ready for it to go away. My emotions have been through the roof, too! I’m uncomfortable and crying and honestly a little terrified of it popping on its own because I don’t know how to handle that but I’m also terrified of going to the doctor over it because the procedure I’ve seen explained seems pretty intimidating. I’m probably going to go to the store and try out Sophie’s cure when I get off work today. I’ve bathed the past two nights with Epsom salts and that hasn’t seemed to help at all either. I just want someone to tell me it’ll all be alright at this point

4 October, 2018 / 8:44 pm

I would go and see your doctor. It is likely that, if surgery or a catheter is needed that would be done in hospital. It is important that you get it checked to ensure that it is not infected which can make you feel very poorly. If you have an upset stomach, are running a temperature or are feeling shivery then that might be the case. It’s possible that it isn’t a bartholin’s cyst so you really need to know what you are dealing with rather than just relying on home remedies at this stage. These things are very common – they are just not talked about enough – so please try to relax a little but seek proper medical care to put your mind at rest.

12. Catie
    5 October, 2018 / 5:43 pm

I have had abscesses on and off for the past 7 years – first one at 35 years old. I’ve had it drained twice and had the word catheter, but theyve still come back. Finally saw a doctor yesterday who actually discussed long term solutions, rather than just antibiotics and off you go, come back if it gets worse. So thin it that maybe it will be marsupilization for me. I need something doing, can’t keep on like this.

6 October, 2018 / 9:31 am

I had my worse one at around that age too. Mine hasn’t come back after the marsupialisation although I have had a few ‘rumblings’ which have been stopped in their tracks by antibiotics – usually Metronidazole – which is the really strong one that you mustn’t have any alcohol with or it will make you sick. I do think you have to push your doctors to get them to take action.

13. DeeDee
    22 October, 2018 / 1:47 pm

I had one cut and drained 10 + years ago but the scar has been a constant issue. It’s become more like a deep scared fissure. Constantly irritated for any issue. I have to bath several times a day to keep it from being itchy and even then it not a guarantee that it will ever heal.
    It feels stretched if sex is not lubricated and will bleed from the irritation of sex, wiping, and itching.
    At this point it has split open and rehealed a hundred times and now the area and looks like a side vagina. I’m thinking of asking the doctor to sew it together again.
    It’s been checked and I’ve been told over and over again that it’s not infected but it’s such a daily problem for me when the issue starts.

22 October, 2018 / 2:31 pm

You poor thing. It definitely sounds as if it needs restitching and you need a second opinion from someone who knows what they’re doing. You should not be going through this. My scar site is still occasionally irritable too.

14. Dinah
    22 October, 2018 / 4:51 pm

I had the first Bartholin Cyst on my right and had marsupialiazation done 3 months ago. I had the second on the left side and had marsupialization done last Monday. I just hope and pray this would be the last and hopefully it will not recur. By the way, is there any prevention or supplement to take from preventing recurrence. Thanks

22 October, 2018 / 5:11 pm

Serrapeptase supplement is the one I have read some ladies have had success with but there is no clinically researched medication other than antibiotics I believe. As you know I’m not a Dr and lots of the reports I read are anecdotal and what works for one may not work for another. I have everything crossed for you that your cysts won’t reoccur.

15. Melissa
    30 October, 2018 / 7:38 pm

Hi, It’s so hard to talk about this subject, I’m 24 years old and I’m currently going through my third bartholyn cyst, I went to the gynaecologist for the 3 of them because I was in so much pain I couldn’t even walk, in the first two I got it drained and they put a tube for 2 weeks, but on this one since it’s smaller the doctor gave me antibiotics which I feel is a longer process of pain, because with the surgery the pain goes as soon as they open the cyst. I’ve been with antibiotics for a week now and I still have it, it doesn’t hurt so much (it might be because of all the pain killers) but it’s still there, I’m frustrated, Depressed, I don’t wish this to anyone. I recently purchased silica pills, I’m taking 3 per day, today is my second day plus antibiotics and warm baths. Let’s see if it goes away.

30 October, 2018 / 7:42 pm

Hi Melissa I am so sorry you are going through this. It’s probably of little consolation but you are not alone in dealing with these horrible little suckers. The antibiotic I was given was metronidazole – quite a strong one (and you mustn’t drink any alcohol when you take it). If you’ve been given just a broad spectrum one it might not be enough. Be careful not to take too many painkillers or mix the types. I have read about good results from serrapeptase (you can find them on Amazon). As usual this is all anecdotal and not medically researched but it might be worth a try. A sitz bath may help you to give the area a good soak too.

16. Christi
    1 November, 2018 / 7:19 pm

Is it safe to have sex as long as its not painful and small? Mine is about the size of a marble.

1 November, 2018 / 8:24 pm

I did to be honest. I think it’s not a problem if the cyst isn’t infected and has become an abscess. If it doesn’t cause you any pain I wouldn’t worry too much.

17. Shen
    20 November, 2018 / 11:02 pm

Thanks a lot for this article, it is so helpful! I am 22 and been dealing with these for 3 years now.
    Last year in December I got mine drained surgically at the ER, and a word catheter was inserted. Never got one for 8 months, I thought that was the end of it. Then I got one again in August, one in September, and I’m currently suffering from a new one, which is why I ended up here. It is still crazy how there seems to be no research done on the subject, but I have witnessed the growth in information available online from 2015 to now, so at least we have some other sources of information haha.
    I’m seeing my gynec in January and I am hoping to get a marsupialization done. Since you had one done too, I wanted to ask: did you have to be cyst-free when the procedure was done?
    Also, how effective was the silica complex compared to silica 30c? Sitz baths have been useless to me, and hot compresses with tea tree and witch hazel have not helped much either, so I am looking for some other home remedies lol.
    Thanks again!

21 November, 2018 / 10:58 am

Silica Complex will help hair, skin and nails so it’s a good general supplement to take. I take the Silica 30c (the homeopathic remedy) – 6 pillules under the tongue is the starting dose. If I feel any ‘rumblings’, this is what I take, together with Serrapeptase in the morning before eating. Now I have no idea if either of these actually work but they feel as if they do. You don’t have to be cyst free for the marsupialization as far as I’m aware.

18. Vee
    30 November, 2018 / 7:04 am

I’m 29 and have had 6 bartholin cyst in the last 10 years. It’s awful and traumatizing. I had marsupialization twice in two different countries. What makes it more frustrating is that I am a nurse but I couldnt help myself. Now, I’m having another one at the moment and still trying to do sitz bath as I am hoping it will help. *fingers crossed* I dont know how will antibiotic help if the cyst is not infected. I’m pretty sure it’s not infected but it’s getting painful. Last time I had a word catheter put on it was the most traumatizing day of my life bec the GP has put me on local anesthetics plus nitro inhaler but she didnt even wait for it to take in effect and incised me straight away. I’ve asked one gyne about the reason why I keep on having this and she just said that the only reason is that we’re “unlucky”. 🙁 I know this thoughts is not helping me now but thank you for this article.

30 November, 2018 / 7:49 am

I’m so sorry to hear what you have gone through. I think the truth is that the medical professional really does not know what causes these nightmares.