So, it’s official. This unprecedented heatwave is predicted to last for the rest of summer and if you’re struggling to cope with the heat like I am, you’ll welcome this gorgeous recipe for a light, cooling salad – water-rich, stuffed with vitamins and containing one of my favourite cheeses, feta. What’s not to like!
Even better, this watermelon and feta salad recipe was created by none other than Gopi Chandran, Head Chef of luxury hotel in St. Albans, Sopwell House.
Set in 12 acres of beautiful gardens and just 20 minutes from London St. Pancras, Sopwell House is a stunning 18th Century Georgian house which boasts a 2AA Rosette restaurant, a vibrant Brasserie, an elegant cocktail lounge, and conservatory bar, all of which look out on the gardens. You can bet it is on my bucket list of fabulous hotels to visit.
But I digress. This watermelon and feta salad is a great way of reinvigorating your usual salad staples and wowing your guests at your next summer BBQ.
Watermelon and Feta Salad Recipe
- ¼ Watermelon – Skin removed and diced 1 inch thick
- Feta – 200g diced or crumbled
- Kalamata olives – 50g pitted
- Red chilli – 1 finely chopped
- Olive oil – 10ml
- Garlic clove – 1 clove
- A sprig of thyme and rosemary
- ½ large lemon, remove rind and julienne (slice rind into thin strips). Juice the flesh
- Basil leaves – 10g
- Mint leaves – 10g
- To make the dressing, slowly and carefully heat olive oil, adding the garlic, chilli, thyme and rosemary, lemon rind.
- Gently heat for 3 minutes, add lemon juice, salt and pepper. It’s important to do this slowly to avoid burning any of the added elements.
- Set aside to cool
- To serve, spread the diced watermelon in the desired dish, sprinkle the feta on top, spoon over olives and distribute the dressing evenly.
- Finish with a fine chiffonade of basil and mint – this will bring out all the flavour.
Sopwell House’s delicious recipe is best served on the hotel’s terrace in the sunshine with a delicious Gin Experience Cocktail or glass of Champagne on the side. Failing that, out in the back garden with friends, family and a chilled glass of vino.
You can find some more easy summer salads in this post too.
For reservations, please call:01727 864477